PROFESSOR Valentin Voroshilov
NUMBER OF STUDENTS RESPONDING: 75 NUMBER OF STUDENTS ENROLLED: 107 PERCENT OF ENROLLED STUDENTS RESPONDING: 70.09
STATISTICS REFLECT PERCENTAGE OF RESPONSES
|I. ||SECTION A: ||COURSE ||EVALUATION: |
|1. ||THE EXTENT TO WHICH YOU FOUND THE CLASS INTELLECTUALLY CHALLENGING ||POOR ||NR o ||1 o ||2 2 ||3 17 ||4 49 ||5 30 ||SUPERIOR ||MEAN 4.080 ||ST DEV 0.767 |
|2. ||THE EXTENT THAT ASSIGNMENTS FURTHERED YOUR UNDERSTANDING COURSE CONTENT ||OF ||POOR ||0 ||o ||o ||5 ||41 ||53 ||SUPERIOR ||4.480 ||0.601 |
|3. ||THE MET ||EXTENT THAT THE CLASS NORMALLY THE REQUIRED NUMBER OF HOURS ||POOR ||0 ||o ||o ||5 ||26 ||68 ||SUPERIOR ||4.627 ||0.588 |
|4. ||I FOUND THE MATERIALS ||TEXTBOOK/CASES/COURSE ||POOR ||o ||2 ||13 ||21 ||29 ||33 ||SUPERIOR ||3.773 ||.1 • .134 |
|5. ||THE EXTENT TO WHICH I RECOMMEND THIS COURSE ||WOULD TO OTHERS ||POOR ||1 ||2 ||2 ||9 ||40 ||44 ||SUPERIOR ||4.216 ||0.926 |
|". ||I ||WOULn ||U'I:E ||TaE ||COUP.SE ||QVEULL ||II.S ||POOR ||1. ||1. |
|II. ||SECTION ||B: ||INSTRUCTOR ||EVALUATION: |
|7. ||THE INSTRUCTOR'S MATERIALS IS ||ABILITY ||TO ||PRESENT ||POOR ||NR 1 ||1 2 ||z 2 ||3 14 ||4 36 ||5 42 ||SUPERIOR ||MEAN 4.149 ||ST DEV 0.961 |
|B. ||I WOULD RATE THE ENTHUSIASM AS ||INSTRUCTOR'S ||POOR ||0 ||0 ||2 ||4 ||37 ||56 ||SUPERIOR ||4.467 ||0.704 |
|9. ||THE INSTRUCTOR'S ABILITY TO ENCOURAGE QUESTIONS/DISCUSSION ||IS ||POOR ||0 ||0 ||6 ||18 ||25 ||49 ||SUPERIOR ||4.173 ||0.964 |
|10. ||THE INSTRUCTOR'S MASTERY OF THE COURSE MATERIALS IS ||POOR ||0 ||0 ||1 ||1 ||30 ||66 ||SUPERIOR ||4.627 ||0.588 |
|11. ||THE EXTENT TO WHICH THE INSTRUCTOR'S GRADING CRITERIA ARE CLEAR AND FAIR ||POOR ||o ||o ||o ||4 ||21 ||74 ||SUPERIOR ||4.707 ||0.540 |
|12. ||THE EXTENT TO WHICH THE INSTRUCTOR RETURNED ASSIGNMENTS IN A TIMELY MANNER ||POOR ||4 ||o ||o ||o ||10 ||85 ||SUPERIOR ||4.88.9 ||O.3.lli |
|13. ||THE INSTRUCTOR'S OVERALL RATING IS ||POOR ||o ||o ||1 ||6 ||29 ||62 ||SUPERIOR ||4.533 ||0.684 |
|14. ||HOW WOULD YOU RATE YOUR B.U. TERM EXPERIENCE, OVERALL? ||SUMMER ||POOR ||NR o ||1 2 ||2 2 ||3 6 ||4 50 ||5 37 ||SUPERIOR ||MEAN 4.173 ||ST DEV 0.876 |
|15. ||ARE ||YOU ||A B.U. ||STUDENT? ||YES ||NR 0 ||1 77 ||2 22 ||NO ||MEAN 1.227 ||ST DEV 0.421 |
|H. ||ARE ||YOU ||AN ||INTERNATIOlllA.L ||STUDENT1 ||YES ||0 ||lA ||as ||NO |
|17. ||WHAT GRADE DO YOU IN THE COURSE? ||EXPECT ||TO ||RECEIVE ||C ||OR ||LESS ||NR 2 ||1 1 ||2 o ||3 18 ||4 77 ||A||OR ||A ||MEAN 3.767 ||ST DEV 0.514 |
Title: Elementary Physics 1 Instructor: VOROSHILOV, VALENTIN
About the Instructor:
- Good presentations to relate physics to real life.
- He is very enthusiastic and wants everyone to do well. He really loves to teach. He is also very funny. Improve: He could spend some more time doing the problems in class.
- I couldn't have asked for a better physics professor.
- Keep doing demos-they are fun and explain the concepts. Keep doing practice problems similar to web assignments. Love the jokes and dry humor. Videos en Echo are super helpful. One of the best professors I've had.
- Clear and funny. Improve: Clarity of handwriting on slides.
- His demonstrations are awesome.
- Loves teaching. Gives great examples and demonstrations of experiments in class. Improve: At times could slow down when learning theory, but doesn't need to slow down on examples.
- Keep up the dry humor and fun demonstrations, makes the class very interesting. Improve: Sometimes very brusque in dealing with questions.
- Dr. V's experiments in class to understand material was exceptional. Improve: Dr. V could improve working through the entire problem during examples to fully understand problem.
- He's funny and makes the class less boring sometimes. Improve: Everything looks so jumbled up and lecture goes too fast. He does not solve problems completely, rather wants the students to finish it at home.
- Hands down, one of the best professors I've had at BU. Great humor, makes physics very fun and exciting to learn, and has fair examinations and grading policies. Great presentation skills.
- Very great professor. Actually cares about students' well-being and success in course. The structure and enthusiasm are great.
- Very positive, helpful.
- Great instructor-knows concepts well, and can grab our attention and keep it.
- Great demonstrations. Great grading speed. Very intelligent. Very fair exams and homework. Improve: Finish the example problems. Spend more time on the problem than the set up.
- His humor makes it worth the 9:00 am. Improve: Finishing at least one-to-two problems completely would really help.
- If I could give a 10 for Dr. Voroshilov, I would. Excellent teacher. Makes physics fun (which is a very hard thing).
- Dr. V has a great sense of humor and presents material with enthusiasm (via lecture slides and demonstrations). Improve: His hand writing is a bit messy.
- The demonstrations were good, but I found a lot of time was spent on simple concept and harder ones were rushed. Improve: More time on harder concepts.
- Love how you presented an interesting experiment. Improve: Teach and explain more clearly. Explain in details why you did something. Sometimes you made the simple concepts complicated.
- He really knows the material and I like the demonstrations. Improve: Answer the examples thoroughly. Some of us aren't good at math, have never taken physics and don't know what is going on.
- Improve: Handwriting is difficult to understand.
- I love Mr. V.
- Dr. V is a great professor. Cares about physics and his students. Is very fun and makes physics fun. Improve: Love demonstrations. Recordings are great. Very solid.
- Strong: His humor, ability to stimulate interests, his fairness in grading, and his demonstrations are all awesome. Improve: I understand that it's summer term and there is a lot of material, but he goes fast and sometimes doesn't finish/explain problems.
- The daily demonstrations more clearly explained topics for me. Demos kept class entertaining. Improve: He should finish problems in class completely.
- Awesome instructor. Improve: I know it's a summer course so you don't have as much time, but I wish you could do out the math on some of the problems you skip over.
- Dr. V s very kind and works hard. Even when he is not technically having one of his own office hours, which he holds Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, he comes in to check that the graduate students are present for their office hours and he stays extra if the grad student is running late, which of course is rare. So, Dr. V goes above and beyond. Thanks Dr. V.
- Very clear with demonstrations. Very clear with expectations of students. Improve: Handwriting a little messy, but that is compensated by his use of slides with typed out, legible explanations.
- He is thorough. Improve: So boring it hurts.
- Good demonstration. Improve: He needs to write more clearly (since we can't understand his accent). Don't list the equations/definitions, but explain why it is. He doesn't take the one more step of "why" to explain to us the laws that we're learning.
- Enjoy demonstrations, has entertaining sense of humor. Improve: Move slightly slower.
- Strong and encouraging.
- Fair. Knows the material. Improve: Doesn't fully explain concepts, trouble with communication.
- Knowledge is very clear.
- Dr. V is a very dedicated professor. Clearly cares about what he is doing and his students, is very prompt with feedback and makes himself very available if extra help is needed. Also, he has a great sense of humor which makes the class less dry.
- Knows material well.
- Knowledgeable and funny. Improve: Writing on Powerpoints is messy.
- Prof. V is dope.
- Very funny and clearly loves physics; great demos.
- Loved Dr. V. Wish he taught during the school year as well.
- Use of examples was very helpful. Presented formulas and equations clearly. Improve: He was a little too fast.
- Great enthusiasm and presentation of material is clear. Improve: The handwriting on the Powerpoint can sometimes be unclear.
- The instructor is awesome with technology. He uses it as a very helpful tool in ways other teachers haven't or can't.
- He is funny, kind-hearted, extremely fair, clearly wants his students to succeed. He does everything he can outside of class to help.
- Very enthusiastic. Improve: Write clearer.
- Love his demonstrations. Improve: It would be more helpful if we finished problems all the way through.
- Great instructor-really helps me to understand concepts I am confused about. Improve: Slow down some, finish calculations in class.
- Great professor-entertaining to listen to with a very dry sense of humor.
- Good enthusiasm. Improve: Neater handwriting.
- Funny. Good. Improve: Clearer handwriting.
- He did interesting demonstrations and added humor to a topic I am not particularly interested in.
- Improve: Dr. V is a great prof. but sometimes he shuts down students when they try to ask questions in class.
- Very funny and engaging.
- Good lecturer. Knowledgeable. Better than Duffy.
- Love the demos and in-class practice problems.
- Sympathetic, understanding. Willing to help outside and inside classroom, answers questions. Makes lectures more interesting with demonstrations. Improve: Wish he'd solve the whole problem sometimes, but I understand why he doesn't
- Good sense of humor. Interesting.
- Makes lecture interesting and fun. Improve: Sometimes could be more clear on certain topics can be a little fast.
- Fantastic teacher. Love the demonstrations.
- I loved the demos. Improve: He was comical and made class fun.
- Great personality. Awesome visuals and knowledge. Fantastic demos.
- He understood physics very well and was always available for office hours. Very good examples.
About the Course:
- Improve: A real textbook would be helpful.
- Improve: I have not read the book because everything is so clear from the lecture.
- Improve: Payment for WebAssign.
- Strong: Nicer to only have to focus on physics for summer.
- Physics has been fun. Improve: Fewer labs.
- Fun; challenging without being boring.
- Strong: Experiments in class.
- Improve: Slow down. Labs were subpar.
- Great course.
- Great demos and excitement of subject.
- Straightforward. Improve: Lab was unnecessary.
- Good overview.
- Moves quickly but the office hours are great.
- Very clear and reasonable expectations.
- Homework/exams very good and helpful.
- Improve: The lab questions are confusing. The wordings should be clearer.
- Improve: The class lowers the quality of summer. The whole course is too fast.
- Lab is helpful in understanding materials.
- Physics is challenging. Let's us think differently. It is quite wonderful. Improve: Lab is quite terrible. The labs are too long. Some experiments are useful, but most are tedious. The lab TA's are awesome.
- WebAssign and lab were useful. Improve: Sometimes lab was too long (doesn't really need the practice exercises). Plenty of office hours all day. Really helped.
- Daily meetings keep material ingrained. Much material covered in a manageable manner.
- It makes you do work if you want to do well. Improve: Lecture time shouldn't be so early. Labs shouldn't be so long.
- Improve: I understand summer needs to move in a fast pace, but there are times that he wastes-i.e. waiting for certain numbers to appear on clicker questions-we can cut that out to learn some more knowledge.
- Homework was very helpful. Improve: Lab. Made material way more confusing. Less labs would increase time available to study outside of class.
- Good course.
- Improve: This shouldn't be five days a week.
- Tests were straightforward and expected.
- Very straightforward, no surprises, and everything he did was relevant to the exams.
- Good pace for amount of material.
- Lots ofTF/office hour help. Improve: Labs-too long.
- Strong: Examples done in class and labs.
- The homework and exams were very similar so studying was well rewarded.
- The WebAssign problems are very helpful for preparing for the exam.
- Better than Duffy.
- Straightforward and precise.
- Strong: Course homework is hard enough. Prepares us for test well. Grades tests very quickly-good. Improve: Labs are sometimes unclear in their directions.
- I like the use of Echo and WebAssign.
- Great class-keep it up.
- Strong: Connection between students.